How And Where Should You Get Help if Injured in Melbourne?

city-of-melbourne-victoriaHave you been involved in an accident which was not your fault anywhere in or around the city of Melbourne in Victoria? If you were injured through no fault of your own, it can be a frustrating and confusing experience. What should you do first? Where should you go to get help? What sort of places would you need to go to or would be useful if you want to get help, seek information or claim compensation? Here are some useful ideas to guide you through a possible personal injury scenario.

Melbourne is Australia’s second largest city with a population of over four and a half million people. The city is on the River Yarra, sandwiched between Port Phillip Bay and the Dandenong Ranges in Victoria. Melbourne gained importance and grew enormously after the Victorian Gold Rush era of the mid nineteenth century. The city consistently ranks in the world’s top ten cities as places to live, but this doesn’t mean you can’t be injured there through no fault of your own.

First Things First – After an Injury in Melbourne

the-royal-melbourne-hospitalThe first priority after any accident is to get proper medical treatment. Depending on the severity of the accident and your injuries you may need an ambulance to take you to the nearest public or private hospital. The chances are that if you are unconscious you will be taken to the nearest hospital that provides emergency services. Ambulance Victoria will normally be the service that deals with carrying you to a hospital.

Melbourne is a large city and has a large number of public and private hospitals as well as medical centres and doctors. If you are covered by Medicare, which is more than likely, you can choose whether to be treated at a public or private hospital. The Royal Melbourne Hospital is one of Melbourne’s largest and best known public hospitals.

Will You Need a Police Report or Contact the Victoria Police?

The local police will almost certainly be involved if you are badly injured on one of Melbourne’s roads or anywhere on Victoria’s public highway system. A police report on the accident may be necessary if you opt for legal action or if a criminal act was carried out at the time (e.g. you were hit by a drunk driver or the driver did not stop after hitting you).

Looking for Experienced Compensation Lawyers?

If you are considering making a personal injury claim, you will find that Compensation Lawyers Melbourne at Level 14 / 50 Market Street, Melbourne are experienced in all types of accident claims. You can get a free consultation with a lawyer near you for legal advice specific to your case.

Will You need to Know Where the Magistrate’s Court House is?

melbourne-magistrates-courtMost personal injury cases are filed through the Melbourne Magistrate’s Court. In some more serious cases, or when a claim has reached an impasse, the Victoria Supreme Court may be involved. The Melbourne Magistrate’s Court is located at 233 William Street in Melbourne City Centre. Your lawyer will help you with all court documentation.

When You are Just Not Sure How to Start

It may be hard to know just where to start if you are thinking of taking legal action. One website that is very useful as a starter is that of Victoria Legal Aid. It’s a Victorian Government agency. You can read the details on the website as well as ring someone at one of the offices for help.

To get in touch with an experienced personal injury solicitor right away, call 1300 019 637